Friday, May 17, 2013

Misadventures of Lessons Taught

Teaching moments seem to be all around us. I didn't realize that we were having a great teaching moment this morning until I heard Alex chanting, "Keep your eye on the prize. Keep your eye on the prize."


Is Alex training for a marathon? Working towards his black belt? No! He is perfecting the great art of jumping from a bar stool, catching a balloon, and landing on my bed. Teaching him the best way to jump on the bed is probably not my finest parenting moment. I am, however, rather proud of the "Eye on the prize" bit. How did that little nugget of wisdom come about? He was telling me that he could get the balloon if he just kept looking at it. I agreed, "You can do it if you just keep your eye on the prize."

That casual comment has given him a new life affirmation. Okay, maybe not, but he is going to be the best little balloon catcher that this house has ever seen.

5 comments:

  1. I think that he has learned a great lesson today. Keeping his eye on the prize will help him achieve whatever he wants throughout his life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! What a great lesson. Glad its written and preserved. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great lesson to learn. It will serve him well in the future - even when he's too big to jump on the bed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so wonderful when they have learned something that we thought they didn't even hear. Hope it is always good things :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How adorable :) Def a great lesson to have learned so young. It will def benefit him when he's older. :)

    ReplyDelete